Senior Product Designer
Be a Part of Something Big
At Alto, we're changing the way people invest for the future.
For too long, only the ultra-wealthy could afford to benefit from alternative investments, and that meant a lot of missed opportunities for everyday investors. Alto was founded on the belief that a diversified portfolio is essential to investing for the future, and that's only possible if everyone can invest in the assets they're truly interested in.
So we created a solution that allows ordinary people to invest their tax-advantaged retirement funds into non-traditional assets, like real estate, startups, securitized artworks, cryptocurrency, and more.
By joining Alto's growing team, you'll be helping to make our mission a reality. And you'll work with some truly unique people who are passionate about what they do. We're also pretty big on celebrating individuality—after all, one of our core values is "you do you." And we actually live it. Really.
To learn more about our team and working with us, please visit our Before You Apply page, which features videos of our CEO and other team members answering questions about working at Alto.
As a Senior Product Designer, you have significant ownership of design objectives and strategy. In this role, you are responsible for establishing processes for design discovery, leading user research, and unearthing opportunities for product excellence and differentiation, driving the company to be more customer-centric. You collaborate early and often with the product and engineering teams to create experiences that help customers invest in alternatives to improve their overall wealth. Combining an understanding of business opportunities with a deep empathy for the user, you work on creating innovative solutions. You also collaborate with key stakeholders across the organization to determine strategy, roadmaps, and deliverables while maintaining autonomy over your work.
What you'll do:
- Conceptualize and design for web (including mobile) and print
- Contribute at a high level for design strategy and communicate the vision, roadmap, and goals for a business
- Define short- and long-term design opportunities for the product.
- Collaborate closely with Product Management, Engineering, Analytics and Business Development to define product solutions and business efficiencies
- Partner with Product Managers to develop the strategy and rationale for product solutions
- Partner closely with Engineering to ensure high-quality implementation and user experience
- Prioritize internal, cross-functional, and external design resource(s).
- Create and iterate on solutions that are inspired by a deep empathy for our users
- Identify key opportunities to meet and prioritize user and business needs
- Establish processes for design discovery and ideation
- Lead user research initiatives to gather insights and inform design decisions
- Develop strategic insights and strategies to guide UX development
- Create high-level user flows for complex products.
- Design processes, features, and components that can be used
- Understand business and technical needs
- Works cross-functionally (in and outside of the product team) to create innovative features.
- Use research and data to inform and implement solutions
- Ideate new product features and improvements
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to prioritize feature ideas
- Flesh out feature concepts
- Design processes, features, and components that can be used across products
- Create UI components for product flows.
- Contribute components to the Alto design system.
- Work collaboratively with Engineering to ensure the finished product meets design specifications.
- Work in close collaboration with Design Leadership to grow the team as well as to inform and improve design processes
What you'll need:
- 6+ years of designing web-based products, with experience with UX and UI
- 6+ years professional experience as a Product Designer
- Experience working in Fintech or Financial Services as a Product Designer
- Design Portfolio demonstrating strong UX and visual design solutions, with an emphasis on identifying and meaningfully solving true user problems
- High proficiency in Figma, and mastery in UX software such as Sketch, Figma, etc.
- Familiarity with other UX/UI software for creating flows, prototypes
- Foundational understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Exceptional track record in executing product design strategy and partner with cross functional team members.
- Experience building world class product experiences, streamlining workflows with continuous iteration and improvement.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead user experience design, including usability principles, user research methodology, testing techniques (A/B, Multi-Variant), design theory, and interaction design.
- Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience.
- Ability to analyze and use data and research to inform decisions
- Utilize understanding and analysis of quantitative data, qualitative user understanding, and knowledge of business capabilities to develop features and product experiments
- Experience leading and launching end-to-end product / product features
- Attention to detail
- Humble — driven by user and business needs rather than personal opinions
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills to break down and solve complex problems
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally, and partner closely with Product and Engineering teams
- Proven background in design discovery through user and competitive research.
- Deep user empathy, particularly in complex or emotional categories
What will make you stand out:
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and get things done
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas
- Passionate about contributing and maintaining design systems
- Skills such as illustration, animation, data visualization, front-end programming, or copywriting a plus
We answered your most pressing questions before you apply here. We are a dynamic and collaborative team, all working towards a common goal. With every interaction, you feel our culture throughout our company. We care about diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and every voice is heard. We also care most about our people. We show it through our actions, and we offer a lot of really great benefits, including:
- A generous open PTO policy
- Comprehensive health insurance options for employees
- 401(k) with company match up to 3% yearly
- Equity as a part of your compensation
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
- 12 paid holidays
- Discounted and/or free Alto investor accounts
- Four to 12 weeks paid parental leave
- A remote-first culture - work from home or our Nashville office
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the US
- An emphasis on work-life balance
- No-meeting Fridays
Well, what are you waiting for? Apply already! :)