Senior Manager, Infrastructure & DevOps
Be a Part of Something Big
At Alto, we're changing the way people invest for the future.
For too long, only the ultra-wealthy could afford to benefit from alternative investments, and that meant a lot of missed opportunities for everyday investors. Alto was founded on the belief that a diversified portfolio is essential to investing for the future, and that's only possible if everyone can invest in the assets they're truly interested in.
So we created a solution that allows ordinary people to invest their tax-advantaged retirement funds into non-traditional assets, like real estate, startups, securitized artworks, cryptocurrency, and more.
By joining Alto's growing team, you'll be helping to make our mission a reality. And you'll work with some truly unique people who are passionate about what they do. We're also pretty big on celebrating individuality—after all, one of our core values is "you do you." And we actually live it. Really.
To learn more about our team and working with us, please visit our Before You Apply page, which features videos of our CEO and other team members answering questions about working at Alto.
We are a remote organization, but we have a preference for candidates in Nashville, TN, Boulder, CO, and New York, NY.
The Infrastructure & DevOps team is responsible for keeping the lights on and enabling the engineering teams at Alto. If you live in Terraform or Kubernetes and thrive on enabling developers, this team is for you. The team is the frontline of support when there is an incident and manages all aspects of Alto’s infrastructure.
As a Senior Engineering Manager of the Infrastructure & DevOps team, you’ll lead engineers who build and maintain our infrastructure, DevOps practices, and developer platforms. You will work to enhance the potential of all engineering team members, elevating their impact through the adoption of efficient work practices and iterating with them on the SDLC processes and technologies used to develop our products.
What You’ll Do
- Own the technical strategy, roadmap, and vision for the Infrastructure & DevOps team.
- Shape the day-to-day delivery of our software products by researching and introducing new tools and best practices.
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within the team and across engineering to ensure we’re building high quality systems on time and with integrity.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the applications and services deployed on top of our infrastructure.
- Establish and maintain SLAs and SLOs for all major parts of our infrastructure and applications.
- Foster a blameless culture that focuses on problem-solving and continuous improvement.
- Source and hire the talent necessary to grow a team with diverse perspectives, and help your peers do the same.
- Oversee the daily workflow of the department, conduct regular 1:1 meetings with direct reports, and provide constructive and timely performance evaluations.
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of software support, reliability, or operations engineering experience in a highly customer-focused, SaaS environment.
- 3+ years of experience successfully managing a team of 5-8 engineers on large-scale projects in the areas of: distributed systems, programming, configuration management, networking, storage, and operating systems.
- Extensive experience with AWS (EKS, ELB, WAF, RDS, VPC, CloudWatch), Git, GitHub Actions, Terraform, Kubernetes, and Go, Python, or Ruby.
- A collaborative partnership mindset focused on business impact and bringing out the best in diverse and distributed teams.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A commitment to infrastructure as code.
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Background in alternative investing, crypto, banking, or fintech.
- A desire to build upon your leadership skills to better serve your team and the teams around you.
- You’ve experienced rapid growth in your company.
- You’re involved in the open-source and tech community.
- Production experience with multiple cloud vendors.
- Experience in SIEM, SOC2 Type 1/Type 2 adherence, documentation, and processes.
- Experience with FINRA.
We answered your most pressing questions before you apply here. We are a dynamic and collaborative team, all working towards a common goal. With every interaction, you feel our culture throughout our company. We care about diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and every voice is heard. We also care most about our people. We show it through our actions, and we offer a lot of really great benefits, including:
- A generous open PTO policy
- Comprehensive health insurance options for employees
- 401(k) with company match up to 3% yearly
- Equity as a part of your compensation
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
- 12 paid holidays
- Discounted and/or free Alto investor accounts
- Four to 12 weeks paid parental leave
- A remote-first culture - work from home or our Nashville office
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the US
- An emphasis on work-life balance
- No-meeting Fridays
Well, what are you waiting for? Apply already! :)
Alto is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination of Any Kind
Something looks off?