Talent Development Manager
Position: Talent Development Manager
Reports: Chief Investment Officer
Supports: Chief Investment Officer, Chief Executive Officer, Director of Development
Supervises possible future Talent Coordinator and interns as needed.
LaunchTN aims to make Tennessee the best state in the nation for startups by empowering high-functioning resource-focused core priorities supporting Tennessee’s entrepreneurial ecosystem. Partnering with entrepreneur centers in seven regions, four statewide industry partners that run mentor networks and commercialization programs, and veteran entrepreneur organization Bunker Labs, we facilitate collaboration among entrepreneurs, innovators, the private sector, capital sources, organizations, institutions, and government. We aim to stimulate the statewide economy by facilitating capital formation, market building, and growing Tennessee’s entrepreneurial ecosystem, making the needed resources easy to find to ensure sustainable growth for entrepreneurs and investors.
Our core values are:
- Not just thinking outside the box, but breaking it
- Putting people first in everything we do
- Going farther together through collaboration
- Being accessible and inclusive always
- Being driven to serve
- Enjoying our work and each other. Life’s too short not to love what you do!
Position Overview: This position serves as the lead for talent development initiatives at LaunchTN. Growing LaunchTN’s roster of stakeholders focused on talent across the state, including LaunchTN portfolio companies, institutions of higher education, and job seekers interested in early-stage technology companies, this position will support engagement among our stakeholders aligned with the organization’s strategic priorities and objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Ownership of LaunchTN’s Internship Program
- Serve as the leader on LaunchTN’s Internship Program, which to date has placed 290+ students with 100+ startups across Tennessee;
- Evaluate and measure program effectiveness and success using data;
- Implement program improvements in all areas, including recruitment, both from students and startups, and expansion of this program into the venture capital space.
Ownership of LaunchTN’s Job Board
- Own all processes and improvements to LaunchTN’s job board, which to date has supported 4,000+ postings with 6,500+ unique visits
- Grow the reach and engagement of this initiative to more fully support startups
Develop new talent-based initiatives for LaunchTN including, but not limited to:
- Direct talent placement support;
- Venture capital-specific programming supporting early-stage talent development in the VC-space
Maintain and improve upon LaunchTN’s Campus Roundtable and university initiatives
- Directly support collaboration initiatives in TN institutes of higher education to foster entrepreneurial talent growth;
- Lead, for LaunchTN, all aspects of any student pitch initiatives, including 3686 Student Edition
- Develop and maintain relationships with institutes of higher education across the state, with a knowledge of their initiatives related to student entrepreneurial talent;
- Promote our statewide network of resources to stakeholders, both inside and outside of Tennessee;
Develop and maintain a CRM system that provides accurate and reliable information in the form of a talent database;
- Working with our internal Capital Team and entrepreneur stakeholders for implementation and alignment of needs
Ecosystem Building and Leadership
- Being the ultimate team player, coordinating amongst various internal departments and external stakeholders to accomplish goals and promote LaunchTN
- Serving as the point of contact for LaunchTN’s talent initiatives
Additional Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Plan and execute all responsibilities with a view toward:
- Maximizing authentic inclusion, collaboration, and partnership with Network Partners, Ecosystem Builders, and other stakeholders with a focus on the user (and team member) experience and empathy for that experience,
- Expanding direct or indirect financial and non-financial resources available to Tennessee companies to enable their formation, growth, and sustainability
- Acting as an ambassador for and building awareness of our vision to make Tennessee the most start-up-friendly state in the nation,
- Exercising creative, critical, and strategic thinking through a problem or opportunity to deliver a high-quality outcome.
- Collaborating; seeking feedback before action; building trust among the team and stakeholders,
- Being decisive and action-oriented, and
- Being aligned with our core values
Potential Indicators of Success
- Proven record of execution in stakeholder engagement, including inspiring action
- Experience with talent or workforce initiatives
- Experience working with startups
- Expansive and meaningful market coverage across Tennessee