VP, Licensing and Business Affairs
Napster is searching for a talented lawyer to join Napster’s legal group to support the company on a broad range of cutting-edge commercial, intellectual property, and regulatory matters.
Reporting directly to and working closely with Napster’s SVP of Licensing and General Counsel, this is a great opportunity to work on, gain experience on and demonstrate responsibility for a wide range of legal and licensing issues relating to music streaming and Web3, including:
- Negotiating license agreements with record labels, content aggregators, and publishing licensors in multiple territories.
- Working in close collaboration with Napster’s business development team to provide commercially-focused legal advice in relation to new and existing partnerships (such as telco’s, retailers, and other distributors of Napster’s music services).
- Working closely with the vendor management and developer platform teams to draft and review inbound and outbound software licenses, service contracts, purchase orders, and other transactions.
- Collaborating with external counsel as well as internal clients to resolve complicated legal issues, negotiate settlement agreements, manage litigation, and other matters.
- Advising on regulatory issues, such as data protection, privacy, customer-facing terms documents, and government relations.
- Assisting in implementing Napster’s Web3 strategy as previewed in our Litepaper.
- Providing legal analysis, research, factual information, counsel and guidance on whatever unexpected business and legal questions and issues may arise.
Who we’re looking for
- Qualified to practice law in England & Wales and/or California, New York or Washington State (although equivalent legal qualification in another U.S. state or a foreign jurisdiction would be considered).
- 3-7 years’ experience, of which some time was spent at an internationally or nationally recognized law firm and (ideally) some time was spent in-house.
- Demonstrable business and commercial judgment, and be able to apply that judgment in recommending solutions that strike the right balance between meeting business goals and addressing legal risk.
- Experience with music and technology-focused clients and content licensing, ideally having established relationships and reputation with the music licensing community in Europe.
- Experience working on matters related to NFTs, blockchain technologies, cryptocurrencies, FinTech, and other Web3 technology.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize numerous time sensitive projects with absolute deadlines.
- You must be comfortable in a fast-paced and unpredictable environment, and relish working on the unexpected.
- Must be able to establish instant credibility as an attorney and business partner with internal and external stakeholders.
- Unlimited PTO
- Health, dental and vision coverage
- Competitive salary
- Equity incentives