Ovyl is a product development firm working on an exciting range of consumer electronics, commercial electronics, lifestyle products, and medical devices. We're currently expanding our team in Nashville, Tennessee to include another Firmware Engineer.
You are compulsive about learning new things, even if you’re not sure when you will use the knowledge. You pride yourself on being a good question-asker which allows you to refine vague instructions until you have a clear direction. You keep up with Embedded System trends (maybe you have a favorite podcast or blog), trends and practice your craft in spare time. Not having unit tests for your firmware makes you feel queasy. To you, making things and solving problems is the most fun you could have at work, and that’s why you are reading this now.
In this role, you will
- Build products as part if a vertically integrated development team that includes Hardware, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, and Product Strategy that takes products from initial research through full scale production
- Work on variety of projects from IoT devices to Medical to Consumer Electronics
- Architect and write safe, well tested, readable code
- Get to work with several different MCUs, sensors, and wireless technologies
- Ship firmware releases often via automated CI build processes
- Participate in code reviews with the entire firmware team — an opportunity to learn from other engineers
- 1+ years of experience writing C or C++ for embedded MCUs
- Experience with common communication protocols such as UART, I2C, SPI, etc.
- Experience working with dev kits, prototypes, and debugging custom hardware
- Passion for unit testing and test automation
- Comfortable working with schematics
- Comfortable with test equipment: power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, etc.
- Comfortable soldering and modifying electronics
Compensation, benefits, and perks.
- Work-Life Balance: Ovyl pays competitively, gives top of the line perks, and above all, respects work-life balance. You can work from home as often as you want, be home for dinner, take a meaningful vacation off the grid, and work to live instead of living to work.
- Health Insurance: Ovyl covers 100% of your health insurance premium. You pay the difference for a spouse and/or dependents.
- Dental, Vision, HSA: Ovyl offers these plans but does not contribute to their premiums.
- 401k + matching: Ovyl contributes 3% no matter what, by default you contribute an additional 6% (you may change this).
- Flexible schedules & WFH: Ovyl supplies a new laptop to use for your work and you’ll get to enjoy the flexibility that we love so much about being self-employed. Want to work from home 2 days a week? Do it. Is it too perfect to be inside on a Tuesday? Work Saturday instead.
- Maker Stipend: We want to employ people that freaking love to make stuff, so we’ll give you a virtual credit card with $600/year to spend on any personal project. Put it toward building a new headboard for your bed, or buying a really nice hot-glue gun, or getting an Arduino kit and figuring out how to automate your herb garden.
- Learning Stipend: We want to employ curious, constant-learners, so we’ll give you a virtual credit card with $200/year to spend on any personal learning. It doesn’t have to be work-related. $200 happens to be about what you’d spend on a year of an Audible or Masterclass subscription, but you could just as well use it for guitar lessons, life drawing workshops, or a coffee roasting class.
- Access to 3D printers for personal use: If the printers aren’t needed for a project, have at ‘em. If it’s something small, it probably ok to just print it. If it’s something big or a mini production run, we may ask that you bring your own material.
- Stocked fridge and snacks: We’ll stay stocked up on healthy snacks, carbonated water, and beer. There’s also a free rotating craft coffee and a big selection of loose leaf tea.
- Company events: We take a day off work at least once a quarter to have fun, hang out, and get to know each other. You're part of the Ovyl Team.
- Join Nashville’s best product dev consultancy: You’ll get to learn new skills working alongside a great team on a wide variety of products, from medical devices that save lives to consumer products that light up a Kickstarter campaign
Please Note: Our entire team is located here in Nashville, TN. We are seeking applicants living or willing to relocate here - however we offer a hybrid work environment, with most employees working from home multiple days per week.