Lead Data Scientist
Thyme Care is the leading value-based cancer care partner, collaborating with payers and providers to transform the experience and outcomes for individuals living with cancer. The company partners with health plans, employers, and risk-bearing providers to assume accountability for enhanced care quality, improved health outcomes, and reduced total cost of care. Thyme Care's approach combines a technology-enabled Care Team and seamless integration with providers, creating a hybrid collaborative care-delivery model that guides and supports the entire patient journey. Thyme Care empowers over 300 oncologists nationwide through purpose-built tech, advanced data analytics, and virtual patient engagement, driving better care and outcomes in value-based arrangements. Thyme Care is a founding member of CancerX, and is backed by leading investors. To learn more about how Thyme Care is enabling the shift to value-based care in oncology, visit www.thymecare.com.
As a Lead Data Scientist on the Care Model Insights team, you will provide technical guidance and leadership to help design, build, and maintain Thyme Care’s suite of population health analytics and data products. The data products built and maintained by the Care Model Insights team allows Thyme Care to identify members for our interventions, build operational metrics to measure our effectiveness in delivery of our interventions and ultimately measure the efficacy of our interventions on better outcomes for patients and our partners.
In this role, you will work closely with stakeholders (Clinical Operations, Care Team, Product, etc) to understand the business, the outcomes we’re pushing toward and our operational cadences. It’s important that you also know how to prioritize deliverables. You will ensure that data from external sources and our internal applications is modeled, analyzed, and translated into high value insights to continuously evaluate and enhance Thyme Care’s care model. You will increase the usability of our data products to empower and educate users to derive their own insights as a self-service platform over time.
After three months on the job you:
- Know our tech stack and analytics inside and out and have contributed to building out our technological solutions such as data marts in dbt, data visualizations in Looker, and internal R packages.
- Collaborated with the product team to develop a compelling roadmap that develops solutions for challenges that our clinical and operational teams are facing.
- Understand our member populations, identify trends in and factors contributing to population health outcomes, and Thyme Care’s interventions to deliver value drivers in Thyme Care’ risk-based care contracts.
- Lead the prioritization of data science deliverables and delivery of insights to inform changes to our care model.
After six months:
- Guide analytical engineers and data scientists on the Care Model insights team to build well tested and performant pipelines and well-organized data models.
- Identify and address expected and unforeseen data complexities to mitigate their impact on the analytic outcome and associated business decisions.
WHAT LEADS TO SUCCESS
- Act with our members in mind. Thyme Care’s mission, and in particular our member experience, matters deeply to you.
- Move with purpose. You’re biased to action. You know how to identify and prioritize your initiative’s needs, and do what it takes to ensure that urgent and important needs are acted on immediately.
- Seek diverse perspectives. You are humble and proactively seek feedback from others. You’re always looking to learn and grow.
- Domain knowledge. It’s important you come to the table with healthcare experience. You’ve worked with healthcare data such as EHR, claims, and ADT data to measure and understand cost and quality of care. We’d bet you’ve worked for a health plan, in a data role at a healthcare-focused technology startup.
- Technical expertise and leadership. You have led teams of analytical engineers and data scientists to translate data into insights and can provide technical guidance in design documents and code reviews. You have the technical skills to get our hands dirty and produce high quality work if needed.
- Curiosity. You have a drive to understand how things work and love sharing that knowledge with others.
- Comfort with ambiguity. You have a proven track record of success within scaling businesses, fast-paced environments, and ambitious startups. You know how to chart a course through ambiguous challenges.
At Thyme Care, our core values—Act with our members in mind, Move with purpose, and Seek diverse perspectives—guide us in everything we do. They anchor our business decisions, including how we grow, the products we make, and the paths we choose—or don’t choose.
We recognize a history of inequality in healthcare. We’re here to challenge the status quo and create a culture of inclusion through the care we give and the company we build. We embrace and celebrate a diversity of perspectives in reflection of our members and the members we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.
We are committed to promoting the health and well-being of all individuals. As a provider of cancer care navigation, we recognize that those with cancer constitute a vulnerable population at risk of contracting COVID-19. As such, Thyme Care employees are expected to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, subject to conflicting laws and exemptions based on medical or religious objections.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of the total compensation package that also includes equity, benefits, and other opportunities at Thyme Care. Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, geography, and balancing internal equity relative to other Thyme Care employees. In accordance with New York City law, the base salary for this role if filled within New York City is $170,000-$195,000. The salary range could be lower or higher than this if the role is hired in another location. We also believe that your personal needs and preferences should be taken into consideration so we allow some choice between equity and cash.